Overview of Levels 1 and 2
Grape Experience offers two WSET beginner wine education courses available to anyone. No experience is required for either WSET Level:
- WSET Level 1and WSET Level 2are equally great starting points if you are seeking a career change, a promotionor just want to deepen your wine knowledge.
- You do not need to take Level 1 to take Level 2.
- If you’re looking for a more in-depth wine class, startwith Level 2.
If you know the basic wine grapes—that Chardonnay is a white wine and Cabernet Sauvignon is usually red—then begin at Level 2. This beginner to intermediate wine courseoffers greater breadth and depth of material, more tasting opportunities and additional classroom hours compared to Level 1. It’s for anyone who:
- Works in wine or who want a career in the industry
- Has a serious interest in deepening their wine knowledge
- Wishes to become a more confident wine taster
Discover how to systematically taste wine, and the factors that influence style, quality, and price. Learn the world’s major grape varieties and types of wine: white and black grape varieties, sparkling wines, sweet and fortified wines.The course includes a study pack with proprietary textbook and study workbook. Students complete a 50-question multiple-choice exam and, upon passing, receive the official WSET Level 2 WSET Certificate in Wine.
- Wines of the world are covered in 8 segments (held either weekly or over the course of 3-4 days).
- Wine tasting is a part of every session and over 40 wines are tasted during the course.
- A 5-week program with a series of online activities overseen by an online tutor through the WSET Online Classroom.
- Each week covers a new topic and students can log in anytime during the week (there are set start and finish dates for each week, but no set class time).
- Tasting activities (to be done on the student’s own) are also provided to familiarize you with a systemic approach to tasting at an intermediate level.
- At course completion, students arrange with Grape Experience to take an in-person multiple choice exam.
SAN FRANCISCO AREA
The WSET Level 1 course offers a true beginner’s overview of wine, and is geared to anyone with an interest in wine for personal enjoyment or launching a professional career. It’s a particularly good starting point for people just beginning to work in restaurants, hospitality, or retail. Level 1 is a fun way to get up to speed on what wine is and how it differs by style.
The Level 1 course provides a systematized way of learning about and tasting wine, focusing on knowledge that is practical, hands-on, and designed to build a foundation for future exploration. The course will introduce you to basics of wine, broad different styles, simple storage and service rules, and easy techniques for pairing wine with a range of foods.
At the end of the course, you’ll complete a short, multiple-choice exam, and upon passing, will receive a Level 1 WSET certificate.
This course comes with a proprietary WSET wine workbook.